Friday, January 12, 2007

Oh the wind...

First thing, I would like to thank everyone for the all the postive comments that I received regarding my first attempt at my blog. I was not sure about posting ALL my feeling about my startup woes here and considered sugar coating things to make things look a bit better. However, I decided that I have to be honest with myself and admit that I was not able to plough on as if nothing happened in my life. That said, I want everyone to know that I am definitely on the upswing. I am becoming familiar with my surroundings and accepting the way things are going to work here.

The wind, however, is something else! As a cyclist, wind has never been much of a friend unless it is behind you. I have learned which way to ride from my house to enable me to have a tailwind on my return journey. The only problem is that I have to face the headwind from the moment I leave the house. That makes getting on my bike a bit more daunting. Yesterday, we had "gales". In the US I think that houses and telephone poles would have been scattered across the state! Here it is just another day. Dale and I were wondering how the double decker buses drive in this weather. It seems that the wind would knock them right over!
Today the wind is less than remarkable which doesn't mean it is calm, but it just means that it is everyday speed. I have posted a picture of our weather for all those to see in the states. I must admit that I am always looking and intrigued with the weather. Perhaps that is because I spend a lot of time outside on my bike. Perhaps I would have been like this regardless. One thing that I find very interesting about the weather here is that it is so WARM considering the UK's position on the globe. The England is on the same latitude as Newfoundland. If you go south to Spain, you have hit the same latitude as Boston. Despite being so far north, England gets little to no snow and the temperature does not flucuate much during day and night. At least we don't have to endure freezing cold here! One small victory! :)

1 comment:

G'MJ said...

our hills in PA can be a real pain so i thought the flatlands would be a great place to ride, etc. until someone brought the concept of wind to my att'n - "they" say as you said that the wind is never ending - I wonder how or if one ever comes to grips with that