Thursday, January 11, 2007

New blog

OK. I have finally started my blog as promised. I know I have been a little quiet since my arrival in England. With this blog, I hope to share with you my everyday experiences of living abroad. I started to keep a journal of our stay here, but I stopped creating entries for a while. This was during my really hard adjustment period when weather always seemed bleak and I had no one to talk to. I am happy to say that I have managed to make it over that hill and I am feeling much more adjusted now. I now truly appreciate what I left behind, but my New Year's resolution is to look forward, not back. I also hope to take a more positive approach to life in general.

Living in England is substantially different than a visit or even compared to my extended stay in France during college. There is no built in structure. There is no person available to tell you what to do, where to go or how to do things. I never sought out that kind of instruction, but that it was there gave me a feeling of stability. I am living in a country where everyone speaks English but half the time I am struggling to figure out the meaning behind the words people say.

Words are different here. British use less words when they say things. They don't expand on any statement unless prodded. They describe things differently using words we rarely use for fear of being thought of as condescending or full of self importance. The British seem much more withdrawn and quiet. I guess that is why it seemed so lonely here at first. I moved from a boisterous, noisy world of friends and people to a place where people are much more stoic and reserved. Everyone is perfectly friendly, but I can tell that it is going to take a long time before I feel a connection between myself and any new friends here.

2 comments:

claudia said...

Hi Cory...I had to laugh at the bike story. You are too funny. But I promise you things will get smoother as they go along. It's hard enough to move to another place much less to another country but I've had relatives and friends move to Canada, Australia and England...all English speaking countries with the same first impressions as you but they all look back with the fondest of memories at having had the experience. And look at the education for your children! How many american kids go to Paris for Christmas?

laura said...

nathan is oh so dale jr. in fact it should be a poster child for england!!! have 2 oints , one of tea in the am and okay maybe two at 4:59 of guiness for me!oh get some choc. covered hob nobs , you might need an energy boost getting thru that soft wind over there