Monday, January 29, 2007

A fine thatched roof...




One of my favorite things to look at here are the houses with a thatched roof. It is amazing the detail the thatchers can make with what looks likes a big bunch of straw. There are thatched roofs in nearly every village I ride through on my bike. Someone told me that the thatchers have their own design that they make at one end of the house kind of like a signature. He said that you often seen pictures of animals. Now, I always look for the signature when I ride by a house.


Thatched roofs last 50-60 years! In East Anglia (where we live), they use water reed to thatch houses. They also use long straw. There is a definite art to thatching and I guess that it is very expensive to have your house rethatched. Also, against common thought, thatched roofs don't absorb water and due to the traditional steep pitch of thatched roofs they shed water more quickly than traditional roofs.


Overall, it is pretty efficient and definitely looks interesting.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I told Chick that y'all are fond of the thatch rooks and he's going to see what he can do about changing your existing roof on Clearbrook Lane. :)