Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Halloween day trip to the dentist

Alyssa did not sleep at all last night. She was complaining about her tooth hurting. I eventually found myself standing in TESCO at 5:00am to see if I could find some Tylenol or Ibuprofen. I stared at cold medicines, stomach medicines, allergy medicines, but no acetiminiphin. “What do they use for simple pain relief?!” I thought with frustration. I finally found something that looked like liquid Tylenol, but it was called paracetamol. What is this? I later found that this is ANOTHER name for acetiminiphin. Why don’t they name them the same thing?

I came home from my medicine adventure to find Alyssa had finally gone to sleep. Yeah! However, she woke 2 hours later and her lip above the sore tooth and cheeks were very swollen. The swelling even affected her left eye making it look like she had a shiner. I felt so bad for her! I gave her some Ibuprofen and that seemed to take away the pain and she went back to sleep. We got a quick appointment for her up at Lakenheath, but it is about a 45 minute drive from Hardwick. Dale shoved Alyssa and I out the door a little before 8:00am and we headed for Lakenheath while Dale searched for a bus to taken him to work in Brampton. We made it up to the base by 8:59am thanks to Cambridge traffic. We hustled to make our 9:00am appointment. At 9:30 we were still in the waiting room so I called Dale. The 9:10 bus never came so he had to take a bus into Cambridge and then take another bus out of Cambridge to Brampton. I think it took him nearly two hours to make it to work.

As for us, Alyssa’s tooth was in bad shape. It was a permanent front tooth, but not fully developed (as explained by the dentist). She needed a root canal, but they could not do a full one since the tooth was not mature enough to fix. They ended up doing an abbreviated root canal so that they could inject medicine into the tooth and hope it would stabilize enough to mature. When they gave her the first novicane shot, I think the entire base heard her scream and that was one of two. My heart was in my throat and I felt so helpless. I know how much those hurt and I know that her love of the dentist was ruined.

We arrive home nearly five hours later. Alyssa slept until dinner and when she woke up she thought it was morning time and that she had missed Halloween. She cried for 5 minutes before I could convince her that the sun was not rising, it was setting.

Everyone made it out for a little trick or treating. We had a lot of trick or treators and we ran out of candy. We got the kids little Halloween buckets which turned out not to hold much candy. Yeah! The candy they did get was unlike any brands of candy that I had ever seen. It was very interesting.

No comments: