Monday, October 23, 2006

Day 8

As I typed out this entry, I see that we have ONLY been here 8 days. It seems like FOREVER when you are living in a foreign place with NO STUFF. I am trying really hard to be flexible and patient but it is not coming easy. Today was a sad day for me. The cracks are starting to form and I am not sure how I am going to keep it together. There is still a week, at a minimum, before we get our stuff and my bike. We have five more days with no internet since our phone number got entered wrong for our internet service. I am feeling very cut off from my former life. I am afraid to call anyone for fear of bursting into tears on the phone. I feel like I am being selfish for wanting my life back. I know that if I am just patient everything will right itself and I will feel fine, but this waiting until then is very depressing. All I want to do is ride my bike for hours on end away from this stupid house. I am really sick of picking up, doing laundry, cooking with one spoon and one tiny pot, and just wasting time wandering around the house until bedtime. There never used to be enough time in the day! I use to beg time to move more slowly. How could I just waste time now?! I feel like I am throwing away valuable treasure! Now a minute lasts and hour and days feel like weeks!

I spent my third day out back, this time trying to clean up the patio. The stones are mixed in with pebble details that would be beautiful if they were not covered with mud. I found a stiff broom and started sweeping away all the leaves and moss. I collected a mass of empty pots half filled with dirt and weeds. I moved the moss covered picnic table and chairs out of the way and spent two hours trying to remove all the debris off the stones. I found a severed hose connected to a hosepipe on the side of the house. Apparently there is a hosepipe ban in Cambridge so this must have been their way of cheating. I did the best I could to spray down parts of the patio to wash away the mud, but my range was very limited. I was excited to see different colors appear as the stones started to show their true colors.

No comments: