Thursday, October 11, 2007

Life according to the exchange rate...

When we first moved here, we thought that the exchange rate of dollars to pounds was pretty sad. However, I had hope that it would improve. After looking at the steady decline of the dollar over the previous year, I thought that it would have to end at some point and start to improve against the pound eventually. My thoughts were that it could not possibly continue to get worse.

Now, we have been living in England for a year and I can say that I was absolutely wrong. To give you a feel for the state of the dollar against the pound, here is a graph of how many dollars it takes to buy one pound (notice how the bars keep getting taller) since the beginning of 2007.

I try hard not to think about the dollar cost of everything when I buy it. However, it certainly can put a damper on the fun fare food when you realize that the candy floss (cotton candy) that you just bought your two children cost you $16.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What goes around, comes around. The exchange rate on March 7th was
£1 = $1.41