Sunday, June 24, 2007

Bike racing is all about my friends...

I love to ride my bike because it offers so much to my life. It gives me my health, my peace, my space, and best of all some of the best friends anyone could wish for. I returned to Maryland for a quick look at our home away from home. I got to see my close friends and I got to do a few bike races too. I saw so many wonderful faces and I was sad only because I could not talk at length with all the people whom I miss.

Racing bikes brings together people with great discipline and patience. Discipline for the huge amount of training it takes to be a successful racer and patience for the time it takes for the training to take hold. Everyone suffers in bike racing no matter how fit they are. Everyone has really strong days and equally bad days. Yet the seasoned racers continue to put in the time, the energy and the hope that one day the strong day will hit on a race day and success will finally be found. It is funny how when you suffer next to someone, respect comes in naturally to the friendship. I find myself looking forward to everyone else's success just as they would pat me on the back for any success I might find for myself. These are the friends that I miss the most. They fill my heart with happiness and laughter. They always make me smile no matter how tired I am from bike racing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.