Thursday, March 22, 2007

School lunches...


Remember when you were going to grade school and the school lunches? I remember talking with my friends about the revolting things they served. I remember seeing giant cans of peas sitting on shelves in the school kitchen and a giant tub labeled "lard". I could not believe it when I saw it. Even then, the days when the only criteria for what I put in my body was whether or not it tasted good, I was frightened by that tub of "lard".


I continued to eat school lunches through high school and even though I complained about them, there were a few lunches that I actually liked. They were the ones that included cinnamon rolls or ice cream sandwiches. I liked the chili and the tacos and, of course, the pizza. My kids today favor the pizza lunch over all others. In the US, my kids had pizza every Friday for lunch and they never got tired of it.



Now, eating lunches in the UK? This is a bit different. I have attached a picture of the school lunches here. At first, I did not understand half of the items on the menu. Alyssa had to come to my rescue. She decided that she was going to try school lunches (mainly for the social aspect of where you get to sit when eating). I get to ask her each day about the lunches. Some of the stuff she is not too sure about, but others she is able to explain. It is very eyeopening what the British children favor and what they don't like. Apparently, Shepard's Pie is top notch.


Take a look at the menu now (click on it to look at a larger version) and decide what YOU think is good. However, don't expect to find tacos or chili on the menu.

2 comments:

Bellie said...

Wow! ) I'm hungry reading the menu. I'd like some Turkey & leek pie, and the jacket wedges and jacket potatoes; they have to be fried! :-) Premium pork sausages, ummmmmm.

Marni said...

Top Notch! Though I would be wary of anything called 'Steamed Chocolate Sponge' and I like chocolate.
Good for Alyssa for giving it a go!